Ultrafiltration (UF) is a variety of membrane filtration in which forces like pressure or concentration gradients lead to a separation through a semipermeable membrane.
- UF membranes are available in various sizes, making the process suitable for many different separations.
- UF separates without phase change, energy consumption is low, varying with the application.
- With UF, separation and concentration can be performed at low pressures, conversions can be high, colloids can be effectively removed, and macromolecular species can be concentrated.
- UF is particularly suitable
toapplications involving temperature-sensitive materials.
- UF systems are simple and compact. The operation can be restored relatively easily after shutdown.